Saturday, June 23, 2018

City Lights

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Lights#/media/File:City_Lights_film.jpg

For the sixth film of the month we have City Lights 

First off, we have the story which has a tramp who falls in love with a flower girl and tries to provide money for them, on they way he meets a drunken millionaire who can help him. I thought the story was a nice and enjoyable one that as my first Charlie Chaplin movie was a good choice and I look forward to more.

Next, we have the characters which overall, I thought were very enjoyable and the simplicity of them worked to add to the movie with Chaplin's funny but kind Tramp, then there is the millionaire who the Tramp meets along the way, finally there is the main interest of the Tramp, the blind flower girl who's interactions with the Tramp were nice to see.

As for the film's visuals I thought they were done really well and when it came to the comedy the visuals made the jokes work to get a laugh from you. Moving onto the tone of the film which I really enjoyed as I found myself laughing at various points throughout but I also liked the way it worked the romance elements from Chaplin's character. I thought the soundtrack of the film was very good and added to the comedy especially the slapstick comedy. It also manages to work with the light heated moments as well as the emotional scenes.

Overall, I thought this film was an enjoyable watch with a simple story and well done characters that make it work and I look forward to more silent films that I may watch in the future.

I give City Lights a score of 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment