Sunday, December 30, 2018

Breathless

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breathless_(1960_film)#/media/File:%C3%80_bout_de_souffle_(movie_poster).jpg


For sixteenth the film of the month we have Breathless

First off, we have the story which has a small-time thief steals a car and impulsively murders a motorcycle policeman. Wanted by the authorities, he reunites with a hip American journalism student and attempts to persuade her to run away with him to Italy. I thought the story was very enjoyable and the length worked to show the essential parts and not get bogged down by filler.



Next, we have the characters which overall, I thought were very enjoyable as well as being well acted especially the main character because even though he did some bad things he was still interesting to watch.

As for the film's visuals I thought were very interesting through the location shots in Paris which helped to give life and a setting to the film but also through the editing of the visuals during dialogue which which helped add to the style. Moving onto the tone of the film which I thought was simple but effective which is all you need to create a consistent style throughout. I thought the soundtrack of the film was very stylised and it definitely suited the style of the film. 

Overall, I thought this film was a very enjoyable film through it's effective story, enjoyable characters and fast pacing. Being the second film by Jean-Luc Goddard I have seen, I thought it was another great film and it makes want to check out more of his films and ones from the French New Wave era. 

I give Breathless a score of 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment