Saturday, November 10, 2018

The Artist

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Artist_(film)#/media/File:The_Artist_Poster.jpg

For the eleventh film of the month we have The Artist

First off, we have the story which has an ego-maniacal film star develops a relationship with a young dancer against the backdrop of Hollywood's silent era. I thought the story was very enjoyable and the way how the silent era was shown felt like it could have been made back in the day.

Next, we have the characters which overall, I thought were very well acted and even though they didn't speak it was all in the actions they gave to capture the emotions of the characters. 

As for the film's visuals I thought managed to capture the sets and costumes of the era very well to make it more authentic as possible. The cinematography was also great with the lighting and camerawork adding to the feel of the film. Moving onto the tone of the film which I found very consistent with a mixture of good comedy that worked because of it adapting the silent era style as well as the dramatic elements for the characters which I found worked well. I thought the soundtrack of the film which I thought did a great job at making it feel like the era the film was trying to capture as well as fitting the emotions it wanted to match on screen with. The use of minimal sound effects also added to the experience of the film.

Overall, I thought this film was very entertaining and managed to show what it would have been like when silent films started to go out and talking films became the new thing and the actors managed to bring that across through their actions without dialogue. The score and tone also shinned out to balance out the film. 

I give The Artist a score of 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment