Monday, September 3, 2018

The Great Dictator

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Dictator#/media/File:The_Great_Dictator.jpg


For the sixth film of the month we have The Great Dictator

First off, we have the story which has a Jewish barber  rise of fascist dictator Adenoid Hynkel who he bears a remarkable resemblance to to he returns to his quiet neighbourhood but is stunned by the brutal changes and joins a girl he meets and her neighbours in rebelling. I thought the story was very entertaining and I liked how it unfolded with Chaplin playing two roles in this film.

Next, we have the characters which overall, I thought were the most interesting part about the film with Chaplin playing both the Barber, a simple man who wants to return to work as well the dictator Hynkel who is funny in his own right as well as being a satire of Hitler during WW2.

As for the film's visuals I thought the film looked very good and when it came to the comedy  that's when they excelled as well as the composition of the whole film in terms of camerawork. Moving onto the tone of the film which I enjoyed as I found it really funny with slapstick comedy but also situational comedy that Chaplin did very well at. There also managed to be some dramatic moments in as well to add to the war parts. I thought the soundtrack of the film was very good especially when timed with some of the comedy moments throughout the film.

Overall, I thought this film was an excellent film and as I continue to watch Charlie Chaplin films I get a better understanding of how good he was even when he moved from silent to talkie films. 

I give The Great Dictator a score of 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment