Saturday, May 12, 2018

Apocalypse Now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse_Now#/media/File:Apocalypse_Now_poster.jpg

The next film I decided to watch was Apocalypse Now

First off, we have the story which focuses on Captain Benjamin Willard as he goes on a mission to Cambodia to assassinate a renegade Colonel. I thought the story was compelling throughout with the travel through Cambodia and the looming threat of Kurtz to be very real. The use of monologues was a nice touch throughout.

Next, we have the characters which overall, I thought were interesting to say the least with Willard played by Martin Sheen to be a very likeable character with his mission throughout the movie. You also had Kurtz played by Marlon Brando who was built up throughout the movie and I found his character to be very intriguing and had this aura about him that made him unstable. 

Now we have the action which I thought was very entertaining with the different conflicts throughout whether from the helicopters, on the boat and in the jungles. As for the visuals I thought the film looked especially good either during the day or the night with the cinematography standing out with the lighting adding to the feel of the film. The location footage for the whole of the film gave it a very unsettling feel in some places. Moving onto the tone of the film which I really enjoyed the dark nature of war and the things it showed to convey it. I thought the soundtrack of the film really added to the film with some loud and fast paced tracks for some of the action as well as some slower tracks being used for the slower and reflective scenes.

Overall, I thought this film was great with an entertaining story, a likeable main character and unsettled villain. The cinematography and music added to the tone of the whole movie which improved my enjoyment.



I give Apocalypse Now a score of 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment