Friday, May 11, 2018

Alien3

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b9/Alien3_poster.jpg

I have decided to watch Alien 3 recommended by Liam (friend from the first Alien review). He again suggested to watch Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection back to back so here is the review. This is a review of the special edition of the film. 

First off we have the story which overall I thought was ok. The start of the film was nothing special, trying to setup characters and the new Xenomorph. One thing I did like was they went back to having one main Xenomorph as the focus because it allowed a sense of one big threat looming over the prison. Talking about the prison it was one thing I felt was mixed the setting was good however some of the characters didn't work for me. The ending to the film was interesting as Ripley died valiantly as earlier in the film there was a reveal of an Alien Queen embryo in Ripley which was foreshadowed as Ripley began to not feel well and wanted to die. 

Next we have the characters which overall I thought just like the previous film were ok there being only 3 standouts being Ripley although I preferred her in the previous films to this one however she was still good in this film. The other standout character in the film was Clemens because of his personality and how he is made sympathetic well that is until he died which I didn't expect. The final standout was Dillon, as the film progressed his character became a standout as his actions helped to eventually kill the Xenomorph. One character I really hated was the warden of the prison and was glad when he died.

Moving on to the action throughout the film which I felt was good. The action scenes at the beginning were good when the prison characters were being picked off when the Xenomorph appeared. Then towards the end where they try to lure the Xenomorph towards the molten lead furnace and how it picks the other prisoners off one by one until there were only a few left. That action scene was well paced and kept me watching it. Onto the tone of the film which I thought fit well for the genre of the film. It however doesn't beat the tone of the previous films. However one thing I did like about the tone was how it helped create a base under siege type of story while also having parts of claustrophobia throughout the film. Again the visuals were ok nothing to write home about. Although I didn't think some of the shots of the Xenomorph were that good and prefer the visuals in the first and second film. I felt the film was trying to do both the horror visuals of the first film and the action visuals of the second which again I felt was ok. In my opinion the film should of went with one type of visuals to keep consistency. The soundtrack was alright, nothing special about it, it was just good and suited the film.

Overall I thought this film was average for the most part and felt the previous films were better films but still an ok successor to the previous films in the franchise. 

I give Alien 3 a score of 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment